http://motorexpertz.com/assets/images/banner/ba9b4ef04c01247db4d92a3532ad58d1.jpg
http://motorexpertz.com/assets/images/banner/d8b17293ee3a285d1a8dfacba1cb0a5d.gif

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Troy Siahaan, Indonesia Tulen di Balik Motorcycle.com

01-28-2014, 08:13 PM This post was last modified: 01-28-2014 08:27 PM by Zikri Irfandi.
Troy Siahaan, Indonesia Tulen di Balik Motorcycle.com
Bro semua pasti tahu http://www.motorcycle.com, sebuah website yang berbasis di Amerika, yang didedikasikan khusus untuk pecinta motor. Kalo bro jeli memperhatikan nama editor di artikel-artikel motorcycle.com, bro akan menemukan sebuah nama yang cukup familiar di telinga orang Indonesia, yaitu Siahaan, lebih lengkapnya Troy Siahaan... Yup, Siahaan adalah nama marga suku Batak dari Sumatera Utara.

Nah berikut adalah petikan percakapan saya dengan Troy di tahun 2011.

Rasa penasaran mengantarkan saya untuk meng-Google Troy Siahaan, dan tak lama berselang saya bisa mengkontak Troy Siahaan melalui jejaring sosial.

Dan ternyata Troy adalah seorang yang ramah, email saya dibalas dengan penuh antusias. Pada awalnya saya kira Troy adalah half Indonesian (separuh Indonesia), akan tetapi hal itu diprotes oleh Troy dengan mengatakan "I'm full-blooded Indonesian". Ya, Troy adalah seorang Indonesia asli, keturunan dari seorang Ayah Batak dan Ibu Manado. Pekerjaan Troy, mungkin adalah impian sebagian bikers di Indonesia, yaitu keliling dunia, melakukan test ride terhadap berbagai moge terbaru, menulis review-nya, dan dibayar untuk itu. Karir Troy sebagai moto-journalist dimulai pada tahun 2006, Troy tidak serta merta menjadi seperti sekarang, dia memang pencinta sepeda motor sejak di bangku kuliah, dan waktu itu Troy merasa bahwa bakatnya ada pada jurnalisme. Jadilah Troy mendalami jurnalisme dengan harapan suatu saat bisa menjadi seorang moto-journalist. Pucuk dicinta ulam tiba, Troy mendaftar ke sebuah lowongan pekerjaan sebagai seorang editor majalah, jadilah perjalanan karir Troy di dunia jurnalisme, tercatat sebelumnya Troy pernah bekerja di Sport Rider Magazine sebagai editor dan di Rider Magazine sebagai road test editor, dan 10 bulan terakhir ini Troy bekerja sebagai Associate Editor at Motorcycle.com.

Berikut ini, beberapa petikan percakapan saya dengan Troy Siahaan melalui email.

Hi troy, I try to arrange some questions, but first let me introduce myself. As you know before, my name is Zikri Irfandi, I live in Indonesia, at Lampung province to be exact. I am not a professional journalist (hope to be pro someday Big Grin), I am just doing this for hobby. I love motorcycle, so i make a website , designing, scripting, writing, I do those all by myself. So maybe you will find some "no-professional-at-all" questions. Please do help me by
extending your answer Big Grin

1. Lets start from the basic, who are you?
Who am I? I best describe myself as an easy-going guy who likes staying active. I love finding the next adrenaline rush, but at the same time I enjoy rest and relaxation with my wife.

2. You said you are 100% Indonesian, could you explain about this?
Yes, I'm full-blooded Indonesian. Both my parents are Indonesian (father is Batak, mother Manado). They came to America in the late 70s, became citizens, and now they call America home. But as far as my bloodline goes, I identify as both Indonesian and American. Much of my family is still in Indonesia; Jakarta, specifically, and I go back as often as I can to visit them. In fact, I was just there in August this year.

3. You said you are with motorcycle.com, what exactly do you do there?
Yes, I currently am an Associate Editor at Motorcycle.com. Prior to this I was Associate Editor at Sport Rider Magazine and Road Test Editor at Rider Magazine. The job is pretty much the same: in short, I travel the world, ride the latest motorcycles, and write about it. I consider myself very lucky to be doing this for a living.

4. How long have you been in Motorcycle.com?
I've been with Motorcycle.com for 10 months. It will be one year in February. I've been a moto-journalist since 2006, though.

5. Could you explain, how did you get into this job? as a motorcycle journalist?
I was very lucky to get this job. Basically, I was in the right place at the right time. When I entered college I didn't know what I wanted to study. At that time I had just started riding motorcycles. During my free time I would always go to the bookstore and read all the motorycle magazines. In school I had always done fairly well in my writing and English courses, so I decided I would combine my passion for motorcycles and talent for writing and study journalism. All with the goal of hopefully becoming a moto-journalist someday. During my coursework, I answered an internet listing I found looking for an editor at a magazine. I answered, sent in my qualifications, had a few interviews, and the rest, as they say, is history!

6. What motorcycle do you ride everyday?
Interesting question. Actually, I don't own my own motorcycle anymore. Now that I'm constantly testing bikes from the manufacturer, there's always a steady flow of machines in my garage to ride around. Currently, I have an Aprilia RSV4 R APRC in my garage. Ask me tomorrow and that might change. Big Grin

7. What is your favorite bike?
This is a question I get a lot and one I find hard to answer. Today's motorcycles are all very good and it's for me to pick a favorite. It also depends on what I want to do that particular day. That being said, I'll offer three motorcycles that I like very much, in no particular order: the Honda VFR1200 DCT, Ducati Multistrada 1200 and Aprilia RSV4 Factory. The first two machines are great all-purpose motorcycles, capable of traveling long distances in comfort and with a sporty attitude to match. The Aprilia is one of the best handling motorcycles I've ever ridden. Each time I ride one around a racetrack I feel invincible. It's just that special to me. But with each new year and each new model, my favorites are likely to change. The new Ducati 1199 Panigale looks to be something special.

8. What is your goal in the future?
My goal for the future is to be the best writer and rider that I can. Hopefullly through my stories I can better project the image of motorcycling to the American public (in general, motorcycles aren't as widely accepted in the US like they are in the rest of the world). With the advancements in technology and media, journalism is transforming. Relatively speaking, journalism has been the same for the past century, but with the internet and social media, never has our medium taken on such a radical departure from the established "norm." People are getting their information much differently than they were just ten years ago. Now I'm a part of that change.

9. What is your greatest achievement?
My greatest achievement so far in life is marrying my wife. As far as motorcycles are concerned, one of my greatest achievements was winning an endurance class championship this year at Miller Motorsports Park, the same track World Superbike races at. My teammate and I were locked in a battle with another team for the championship and the title came down to the last race of the season. We got second in that race which was enough for us to win the championship. I'm very proud of that.

10. Is there any plans to come back or visit Indonesia?
Yes! I love Indonesia! My wife and I went to Bali for our honeymoon and like I mentioned earlier, much of my family still lives in Jakarta. I really want to be able to race at Sentul, or even have a chance to ride at Sepang in Malaysia. If you're a team owner in Asia — or even have a bike (preferably a competitive one) — I could ride, contact me and let's make it happen!

11. What do you want to say to the Indonesian biker ?
To the Indonesian biker I say your culture is much different than mine is here in America. You ride on two wheels out of necessity rather than pleasure. That said, you can never be too safe. Take riding seriously and try and be as safe as you can. Learn proper technique and wear proper safety gear. If you're some of the few who have a chance to ride and enjoy motorcycles larger than a scooter, then this is especially important to you. Most of all, just have fun. That's why we all ride anyway, right?

07-23-2014, 09:12 PM This post was last modified: 07-23-2014 09:14 PM by Zikri Irfandi.
RE: Troy Siahaan, Indonesia Tulen di Balik Motorcycle.com
Rupanya Troy Siahaan ingin menunjukkan identitasnya sebagai seorang Indonesia Bro.. terbukti dari helm yang dipakai saat test ride pada peluncuran Ducati 1198.

Tema airbrush pada helm Troy diambil dari mitologi Bali, yaitu Pertarungan Barong dan Rangda. Bagi Troy memakai helm dengan motif ini merupakan kebanggaan dan sikap nasionalis Troy terhadap tanah leluhur - Indonesia.

Helm ini didesain dan dan dikerjaan oleh orang Indonesia juga, Henggono.

BTW, kalo Brader ingin memiliki helm dengan desain custom bisa pesan di NHK.

sumber

Thread options
[-]

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)